According to madhukosha commentary, udarda and sheetapitta do have similar
system of origin (samana sansthana), they are defined as per dominance of
Purva-roopa (prodromal signs)
Roopa (the signs and symptoms)
- Feeling of heaviness in the body
- Redness of the eyes
Hetu (etiological features)
- Swelling (elevated patches) resembles to wasp sting
- Severe itching
- Pricking pain (sakandustoda-bahul)
- Feeling of burning sensation (chhardi-jwara-vidahawan).
- Patches (mandal) with highly itching, red in colour.
- Innumerable rashes
- Improper administration of emetics (asamyakvaman)
- Suppression of aggravated pitta, kapha and anna
- Excessive consumption of kanji (fermented gruel), shukti,
- Massage (abhyanga) with sarshapa oil
- Hot water fomentation
- Immediate emesis should be done with the help of decoction of patol
leaves, nimba twak and arishtaka
- Purgation (virechana) should be done using decoction of triphala,
pippali and guggul.
- Rakta- mokshana (blood - letting) should be done after using
mahatikta ghrita, which is mentioned in kushtha chikitsa.
- Krumighna (antihelmentic) and dadru har treatement first.
- Unction (snehan) and swedana (fomentation followed by sanshodhan
(evacuative measures) like emesis, purgatives etc. should be done
- Kushtha (skin disease) chikitsa.
- Decoction of yashtimadhu, madhuk flower, rasna, rakta chandana,
shweta chandana, nirgundi and pippali
- Decoction of guduchi or haridra or nimba twak or dhamasa cures
- Yavanika with jaggery when consumed for one week continuously it
- Vardhaman-pippali or use of rasona cures sheetapitta.
- Powder of yavanika, shunthi, maricha and pippali with milk helps in
- Nimba patra choorna always taken with ghrita or mixed with amalaki
choorna and ghrita cures kotha, sheetapitta, rakta-pitta etc.
- Powder of maricha added with ghrita should be consumed regularly in
the morning cures sheetapitta.
- Lepa (local application)
- Juice of tulsi (tulsi swarasa)
- Saindhava and kushtha with ghrita
- Powder of shweta sarshapa, haridra, kushtha, til and chakramarda
(Cassia tora Linn) mixed with katu taila and used for ubatan helps in
curing sheetapitta etc.
- Durva and haridra on local application subsides itching.
Commonly used drugs
Pathya - apathya (dos and
- Haridra khanda
- Vardhaman pippali
- Brihat haridra khanda
- Amrutadi yoga
- Agnimantha yoga
- Kushthadi choorna
- Nimbapatra yoga
- Rice of shalidhan, mudga, kullatha, karavellaka, poi shak,
vetagra, hot water, vaman (emesis), virechana (purgatives), pralepa
(local applications), rakta mokshana (blood letting), dadim
(pomegranate), triphala, sarshapa oil. All bitter, pungent and
astringent products are advisable in this disease.
- Apathya (don'ts)
- Bath, sun bath (atap seva), heavy food, dugdha and ikshu vikar
(products which are made up of milk and sugar cane), fish, day
sleep, exposure to east wind and south wind, viruddha bhojan, slimy
(pichchhil), sweet, sour and salty food should be avoided.