Home Remedies for Cholesterol Imbalance
Cholesterol - the yellowish fatty substance is not always bad. As
against the popular belief, some cholesterol is good too and act as
essential component of human body. They perform several functions like
transporting fats, providing defense mechanism, protecting red blood cells
and muscular membrane of the body apart from forming sex hormones and being
responsible for proper nerve and brain function.
Cholesterol travels through
the blood in protein packages called lipoproteins. These lipoproteins are of
two types- Low density lipoproteins or LDL (bad cholesterol) and high
density lipoproteins or HDL (good cholesterol). LDL causes blockage in the
arteries by building up plaque. This blocks the flow of blood to other
organs like liver, kidneys, genitals, brain and is also causes heart
disease. On the other hand, HDL removes the bad cholesterol from the blood
and helps in preventing heart attack. Therefore, cholesterol imbalance
should be avoided for healthy heart and body.
Causes of Cholesterol Imbalance
The major cause of high cholesterol levels is wrong lifestyle. Fatty food,
lack of regular exercise and stress are the main causes of imbalance in
cholesterol. These and other causes can be listed as follows:
Natural Remedies for Cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Excessive smoking and drinking
- High intake of fat diets
You must be thinking how to lower cholesterol? Following are some home
remedies to reduce colestrol.
- Take 1 tsp. roasted chicory root, 1 tsp. lime flowers, ½ tsp.
fenugreek seeds, ½ tsp. ginger rhizome, and 1 quart of water. Mix
them and bring to boil. Let the boiled mixture cool. Then strain and
drink 2 cups a day.
- Eat a clove of garlic every morning on empty stomach. In fact, the
intake of garlic should be increased by adding it to daily food
preparations as it lowers LDL cholesterol level and increases HDL.
- Include ginger in your diet as it also reduces cholesterol and thins
the blood which improves its circulation.
- Take Guggul (Indian
bedellium) which reduces triglycerides and LDL by 35% and increases HDL
by 20 %. The Guggul extracts are easily available in form tablests and
- Eat more of (about 70- 90% of your food intake) raw food. If you
can't eat raw, lightly saute the vegetables in olive oil.
- Eat barley. Its good if you replace rice with barley.
- Have oatmeal regularly.
- Eat apples everyday after every meal. Apples contain pectin that
- Drink fresh fruit juices, particularly carrot, celery, and beet
- Have soymilk. Replace milk and even coffee creamer with soymilk.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Take onion juice. It cleans blood, helps digestive system, cures
insomnia and regulates the heart action apart from lowering bad
- Apply mudpack over abdominal area. It is good cure for
indigestion and also improves the
functioning of the liver and activates kidneys to promote excretion.
- Exercise daily. It can simply be brisk walking or yogasanas like
ardhamatsyaendrasana, shalabhansan, padmasana and vajrasana. These Yoga
asanas help in lowering blood cholesterol. Obesity is one of the major
causes of high cholesterol levels.
However, if you suffer from any heart disease, consult your doctor
before starting any heavy exercise like jogging, swimming, running or
- Take 2 tbsps of coriander seeds. Mix it with a glass of water and
boil. Let it cool for some time and then strain it. Drink it thrice a
day. It lowers blood cholesterol and stimulates the kidneys.
- Take sunflower seeds. They are extensively used for making cooking
oil these days.
- Eat handful of almonds and walnuts daily. They are good source of HDL
or the good cholesterol.
- Take 10 pieces of cinnamon sticks of 2.5cm each, a tablespoon of
honey and 5 teacups of water
Mix them and boil. Brink this hot mixture.
smoking and limit alcohol intake.