Bleeding from inside the nose is a
common complaint presenting an emergency. Epistaxis is often a
frightening sight to the patient and the attendants, especially if the
patient is a kid. There are a variety of causes which can lead to
bleeding from the nose.
- » Finger nail trauma due to excessive nose picking. This is the
most common cause among the children.
- » Trauma to nose due to road traffic accident or being hit on the
nose by a ball or fist.
- » Fracture of the nasal bones.
- » Viral rhinitis (infection of the nose).
- » Acute sinusitis
- » Foreign bodies in nose
- » Deviation of the nasal septum
- » Atmospheric changes such as sudden movement to high altitudes.
- » Any growth in the nasal cavity, like polyps, benign or malignant
- » Hypertension commonly seen in old age
- » Heart diseases
- » Pregnancy
- » Bleeding disorders when the patient has a deficiency in
the system responsible for control of bleeding there is an abnormal
tendency to bleed.
- » Drugs- like excessive use of analgesics for pain.
- » Acute general infections like typhoid, pneumonia, malaria, dengue
fever, measles etc.
- » Idiopathic - at times the cause of bleeding may not be clear.
- Dont panic because most of the time bleeding can be controlled
by pinching the nose
tightly for about five minutes.
- Ice compress can be applied in the nose. They cause bleeding blood
vessels to constrict & bleeding stops.
- If bleeding is profuse the patient should be taken to the doctor. It
may require inserting packs in the nose to stop the bleeding.
- Hypertensive patients should take their blood pressure controlling
- Excessive nose picking is a very common cause of bleeding both in
children & young adults and should be discouraged.