are air-containing cavities in certain bones of the skull.
Inflammation of the lining of the sinuses is termed sinusitis.
Signs and symptoms:
What causes sinusitis?
- » Headache and /or pain over the upper jaw aggravated on coughing or chewing.
- » Fever
- » Nasal discharge
- » Feeling of heaviness all over the face
- » Purulent discharge trickling into the throat leading to cough.
- » Common causes leading to sinusitis are nasal infection,
- » Swimming in infected water can enter the sinuses through their
- » Dental infections(molar or premolar tooth infection or dental
- » People who have a deviated nasal septum are predisposed to
- » Pollution dust smoke & overcrowding also predispose to sinus
is directed at relieving the
congestion and treating the infection.
- » Antibiotics
- » Nasal decongestants.
- » Analgesics may be prescribed
- » Steam inhalation and hot fomentation are quite useful in
providing symptomatic relief.
If infection does not respond to conservative treatment and an
anatomical cause is suspected then surgery is often recommended.
The use of nasal endoscopes has made possible the successful cure of
chronic & recurrent infections of sinuses.