Vasectomy provides permanent
contraception for men who decide they do they will not want more
children. It is a safe, simple and quick surgical procedure and can be
done in a clinic or office with proper infection prevention procedures.
It is not
castration, and does not
affect the testes,
and it does not
affect sexual ability.
The doctor makes a small opening in the mans scrotum (the sac of
the skin that holds his testicles) and closes off both tubes that carry
sperm from his testicles. This keeps the sperm out of his semen. The man
can have erections and ejaculate semen, while his sperm no longer makes
a woman pregnant.
This method has been found to be very effective, with 0.15 pregnancies
per 100 men (1 in 700) in the first year after the procedure. It is even
more effective when correctly used. Correct use means using condoms or
another family planning method consistently for the first 20
ejaculations or the for 3 months after the procedure---whichever comes
- It is very effective and is a permanent method.
- Nothing to remember except to use condoms or another effective
method for the first 20 ejaculations or the first three months,
whichever comes first.
- It does not affect the ability to have sex.
- No apparent long-term health risks.
- Common minor short term complications of surgery:
--- Usually uncomfortable for 2 to 3 days
---Usually uncomfortable for 2 to 3 days
--- Brief feeling of faintness after the procedure
- Uncommon complication of surgery:
--- Bleeding or infection at the incision site or inside the
--- Blot clots in the scrotum
3. Not immediately effective. The first 20 ejaculations after vasectomy
may contain sperm. The couple must use another contraceptive method for
the first 20 ejaculations or the 3 months---whichever comes first.
4. Reversal surgery is difficult, expensive and not available in most
areas of the world. Success cannot be guaranteed. Men who may want to
have more children in the future should choose a different method.Important
points to remember:
- It is a permanent family planning method. A man must think
carefully and decide that he will never want more children before
- It is very effective after 20 ejaculations or three months---
whichever comes first.
- Involves safe and simple surgery.